Some of us believe that changing one’s mind is not a good practice because it would make us seem inconsistent. A person who constantly changes his mind is usually considered as a red flag. This common belief led many people to stick to their plans even when, along the way, they discovered better ones. Isn’t it sad that society’s stereotype towards changing minds hindered others from achieving success and happiness?
If you are at the stage of your life where you are contemplating whether to change your direction or stay where you are, here are some pieces of advice for you to stop fearing change.
- It is fine to change your mind about your life path when you learn new possibilities that you initially thought are not achievable. Never allow what others might say or think to stop you from changing your direction towards the better life you wish for yourself and the people who matter to you.
- It is fine to change your mind about your life path because your beliefs changed. Most of our beliefs have only been passed on to us. As we mature, go through different experiences, and learn, we realize many things that make us hesitate about our life choices. When this happens to you, allow yourself to make a change as long as you are firm with what you believe.
- It is fine to change when circumstances change, and adapting is necessary. There are times when what we initially plan can no longer be achieved due to a change in condition, which we cannot control. Is it wise to still stick to that path when you know any efforts you put into it will only be futile? Do not stick to it for the sake of not being labeled as a fickle-minded person. Remember that your future is at stake, not theirs.
- It is fine to change when we discover the truth and learn the realities of life. As we grow older and start to fend for ourselves, we face challenges that would necessitate us to adjust our approach or timing of our goals. Never be afraid to change whatever you need to change to continue your life journey. You might need to change your pace or your destination. That is totally okay and up to you.
- It is fine to change when we find that one thing that makes us feel fulfilled. It is not true that dreams do not change. They do for some people (if not all). When you reach a certain point in your life, that point when you are already capable of discernment, ask yourself whether what you are pursuing still stirs the passion in you. If you find something that you love, it is okay for you to reach for that instead.
Let us not be afraid of change and be the initiator of change. When you know that changing is necessary for your growth and the fulfillment of your life purpose, do not let your insecurities or other people’s judgment stop you. You can serve the world better when you love who and what you are. Live life to the fullest.
Do you agree that it is okay to change one’s mind when faced with these instances?
(Photo by Ondosan Sinaga)