As I go through living life, I observe other people for me to learn more. Observation has always been one of my means of learning. Through this habit, I discover certain truths, such as how to obtain happiness. On this matter alone, there are various ways. One of those ways is helping other people.
Do you know that helping others does not always translate to financial help? I have observed that simple but profound acts matter most for most people. If you want to see a person, especially a loved one, filled with courage in dealing with life, you should:
- Be happy for their wins. Although wins could be enough for a person to be satisfied, they would still need those they love to celebrate with them. Seeing you happy for their victories, no matter how small, would make the win much sweeter because seeing the people they love joyful is also a win for them. You do not need a lavish celebration to let them know your happiness for them. It would not hurt you to say a simple congratulations, would it?
- Be supportive of their endeavors. Being supportive of someone’s goals does not necessarily mean providing financial support. Words of encouragement could help stabilize them and strengthen their determination to reach for their dreams. Do your best not to make them feel bad for dreaming big and crushing their spirits before they begin their journey. While it is true that they could be unsuccessful in their struggle, their fall would be easier to bear when they have you on their side than remembering it was you who told them they would/could fail.
- Look at their good side. There is this truth that is often uttered and heard. “Nobody is perfect.” Indeed, nobody is. Everyone has shortcomings, and that includes yourself. With this fact, it should be easier for you to look at the good attributes of someone, not focus on what they lack or fail at. When you acknowledge their positive qualities, instead of pointing out the negative, they will embody those qualities more and more.
- Make their lives lighter. Just like you, each person has struggles. You might see them as living in comfort and happiness all the time, but you might not know everything. Some people keep their struggles to themselves to not burden those around them. Therefore, never be someone who could cause them more feelings of sadness or frustration. Be a light-giving optimist in their lives, not a joy-sucking pessimist.
- Let them know they are appreciated and loved. When a person gives you love and care in any form, it is their choice. They have the option not to, yet they still do. Therefore, constantly express your appreciation for the love and care you receive. Instead of thinking about what you feel is lacking from what you received from them, be grateful for what they willingly gave. You do not know what they have gone through to show you love and care.
You do not need to be rich to help lift people’s lives. You only need to be a happy, supportive, optimistic, and grateful light to their lives. You are not just helping others; you have inadvertently enabled yourself to have a more joyful heart filled with love rather than envy and pride.
(Photo by mododeolhar)